Answered By: Lippincott Library Last Updated: Jul 14, 2020 Views: 23945
Go to S&P Net Advantage. Click the S&P 500 Index tab, then select Constituents from the left-hand menu.
Use Bloomberg, available in Huntsman Hall and the Yablon Financial Resources Lab in Lippincott Library:
- Key in the index ticker
- Select MEMB <GO>
- Adjust dates as needed
- Note: a different ticker could be used for historical members. Select the security name, then DES <GO> to view the security's description.
For historical constituent lists of the S&P 500 go to WRDS.
- Choose: Compustat-Capital IQ --> North America - Annual updates (under Other Compustat) -->Index Constituents
- The ticker for the S&P 500 is I0003, which can be found by using the Code Lookup link under the ticker entry box.
Morningstar Direct (available in Lippincott Library; ask at the Information Desk for assistance logging in.) has current S&P 500 constituents available by navigating to Global Databases-->Stocks and selecting S&P 500 Constituents from the Morningstar-defined Universes list.
Datastream, located at Lippincott Library (machine 7B), has current constituent lists for a number of stock indices.
- For the S&P 500, go to the Data Category box, and go to Constituent Lists-->Criteria Search.
- In the pop-up window, select S&P 500. Scroll down and click the 505 Constituents link to find a full constituents list.
For historical information, come to Lippincott Library and look at the Security Price Index Record (call number HD 4921 S74b). It contains the S&P 500 companies and the years they appear in the Index.