Industry reports, profiles, and overviews are available through a number of BIS's resources. In most cases, you can search for an industry by name, NAICS code, or SIC code. Try looking in the following:
- First Research: Simply search for an industry by name, NAICS, or SIC.
- IBISWorld: The simplest way to use IBISWorld is to enter an industry name or NAICS code in the search box and click the arrow just to the right of it.
- MarketLine Advantage: Click the 'Industries' link. Then click the pink 'Industries' tab. Now your keyword search will only search industry profiles.
- OneSource: OneSource requires the creation of a unique user account, but they are free. Once you have created one and logged in, use the search box under "industry" to look for industry information.
- Freedonia Focus Reports: Browse categories or search for keywords.
- Business Source Complete: Type the name of an industry in one of the search boxes and check the boxes next to "industry profile" and "industry overview" under the "special limiters" heading.
- ABI/Inform Complete: Search for an industry name as a subject. On the results page, click the "references/reports" tab.
- Passport: Look under "industries" on the navigation bar.
- The Encyclopedia of American Industries: a searchable ebook
Any of the above resources are liable to contain some statistics, but for more you may wish to consult the following:
- Proquest Statistical Datasets: "industry and commerce."
- The U.S. Economic Census: Issued every five years, the Economic Census provides data from the national level down to individual ZIP codes.
- RMA Annual Statement Studies: This printed resource provides composite ratios and balance sheet data for companies in various industries, disaggregated by company assets and sales. It is often used to get a general idea of the financial condition of companies in a given industry. Located in the Reference Room and Main Stacks. The call number is 332 R54s1.
- Use Bloomberg, available at the Margolis Market Information Lab (MIL) at the Business Instructional Facility (BIF). Bloomberg Industry Analysis can be accessed from a Bloomberg terminal by typing "IBQ" and hitting the "GO" key.